Asphalt Road Maintenance Chip Seals and Other Surface Treatments
Upcoming dates coming soon!
Join our mailing list to stay up-to-date on workshop offerings.
If you’re feeling the pinch of a tight budget and increasing pressure to improve the roads in your community, register now for this workshop that can help you save time and money while getting the most out of your roads.
This course will help you:
- Maximize performance and life of your chip seals
- Use effective crack sealing techniques
- Identify other reasonably priced maintenance treatments to extend the life of your roads.
Who Should Attend?
The workshop will benefit those responsible for maintaining roads:
- elected officials
- equipment operators
- consultants and others responsible for road maintenance should attend
It is recommended that you take this course with Gravel Road Maintenance for maximum learning.
Introduction and PASER Rating Review
Effective Crack Sealing and Filling
- Cost effectiveness of crack seals
- Crack seal materials and equipment
- Selecting the right material for your application
- Sealing techniques and best practices
- Crack sealing safety
- Aggregate and emulsion materials
- Chip seal design
- Construction details
- Measuring and paying for work
- Do’s and don’ts for effective chip seals
Other Surface Treatment Options
- Fog seals
- Slurry seal/Micro surfacing
- Other surface treatments
Treatments for Special Situations
- Recreational trails
- Chip seal over gravel
Question and Answer Session and Wrap-up Discussion
Benjamin J. Jordan, PE is a program director with Interdisciplinary Professional Programs in the transportation sector. He has over 35 years of experience in civil engineering and public works. He earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign and a Master of Public Affairs degree with a Certificate in Public Management from the University of Missouri-Columbia. He is a Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Illinois.
William F. Heiden has over 40 years experience as a county road engineer and contractor working in the construction and maintenance of roads. Since 1999 he has provided training and consulting services on gravel roads and drainage. He is a professional engineer and retired land surveyor.